Friday, May 13, 2011

Greetings and Salutations!

Welcome to my blog, where I will be recounting my adventures and studies in Oxford, where I will be living and studying from May 16 until June 28 through the generosity of Providence College's Fr. Phillip A. Smith, O.P. Student Fellowship for Service and Study Abroad.  This program allows PC students to travel abroad for a period during the summer to undertake a self-designed research or service project related to the Catholic and Dominican mission of the college.

During my time at Oxford, I will be working out of Blackfriars Hall, which is run by the Dominicans of the English Province.  My research will center on the writings of Blessed John Henry Cardinal Newman, who spent many years as a student and later tutor and fellow at Oxford.  Among his many intellectual accomplishments, Cardinal Newman wrote a great deal both about education and about the Church's role as a teacher.  While at Oxford, I will be undertaking research concerning Newman's The Idea of a University, which is a series of nine lectures he gave at the Catholic University of Ireland in which he outlined what he believed to be the most important characteristics of a university.  Through my research, I hope to gain an understanding of the relevance of Newman's thoughts to the contemporary university, particularly Catholic universities in America.  As my fellowship proceeds, I'll certainly be posting about the insights I uncover concerning Newman's educational thought through my reading, conversation, and travels around England.

Bl. John Henry Cardinal Newman
1801-1890

During my time abroad, I will not only be working in Oxford, but I will also have the opportunity to travel to Salisbury to attend a conference on Newman, to Birmingham to visit the oratory he founded and in which he was interred, and to Switzerland to visit the Dominicans at the University of Fribourg.  I am also looking forward to exploring Oxford with its vibrant social and intellectual life as well as getting to know the students and faculty at Blackfriars!

I am currently in the throes of packing and organizing and checking off to-do lists as I make the transition from Providence College to a brief 24-hour stay at home before heading off to the airport to depart for London!  I plan to post frequently with pictures and updates about my activities - I do hope you'll check in often, and please feel free to leave your comments.  I would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment